Homeopathic ApproachesThere exist 2 different approaches in selecting a homeopathic remedy or treatment.
The first is the classical approach of "Repertorization" whereby a "Constitutional Remedy" is chosen through:
- careful observation of the patient's symptoms;
- determination of the patient's basic Constitution; and
- identification of the patient's underlying predispositions ("Miasms").
The second approach (on which Homeopathy Software is based) is to directly match a remedy according to a patient's pre-diagnosed disease and symptoms.
While the classical approach is still commonly used by many of the best practitioners, many modern homeopaths have shifted to the second approach for many reasons:
1. Since most patients already know their disease diagnosis it often makes sense to bypass the lengthy repertorization process and deal directly with the disease, especially since the possible remedies for many diseases have already been well established over the long history of homeopathy. For example, if a certain affliction is known to respond to 6 different remedies, all that remains to be done is finding which 1 of the 6 remedies best matches the patient's symptoms.
2. Some of the Constitutional Remedies originally determined by symptoms alone appear to have lost their power, no longer working as they did when homeopathy was first developed. Any practitioner who is not informed about a remedy's reduced effectiveness may apply a rather useless remedy.
3. Our modern environment - flooded with chemicals, heavy metals and other contaminants - may undermine the repertorization process used to determine the Constitution of a patient, thus interfering with the selection of the best Constitutional Remedy. The well-known Homeopath Dr. med. Thomas Rau has found that the Constitutional Remedies prescribed for a patient in a restored environment are usually a better fit and more effective than those remedies selected for the same patient before the restoration (i.e. before the sources of contamination to the body were removed).
Dosage and PotencyA homeopathic practitioner may use potencies that range from the undiluted original tincture to a potency of 200x or even higher. However, this software only lists potencies between 3x and 30x, as potencies going beyond 30x are usually not readily available. As a rule we use lower potencies for acute illnesses and higher potencies for chronic illnesses. The more chronic and stubborn the disease, the higher the potency. In cases where acute and chronic conditions meet, lower and higher potencies are mixed. It is always up to the experienced professional to decide which potency is best on a case-by-case basis.
The number of times a substance is diluted is displayed in front of either an 'x' or a 'c'. The 'x' is used to show that the substance was diluted on a 1:10 scale (which is most common), whereas the 'c' is used to show that the substance was diluted on the 1:100 scale (rare). If the potency is followed by a 'D' then the remedy is likely made in Europe and based on the decimal system.
|To create a dilution of 1x:||One drop ("unit") of the substance is mixed with 9 drops of distilled water, shaken 40 times.|
|To create a dilution of 2x:||One drop of 1x is mixed with 9 drops of distilled water and shaken 40 times.|
|...which is the same as:||Two dilutions with 1 part substance and 9 parts distilled water. Each dilution shaken 40 times.|
|To create a dilution of 3c:||Three dilutions with 1 part substance and 99 parts distilled water. Each dilution shaken 40 times.|
Nosode RemediesNosodes, first developed by Dr. Hahnemann, are made directly from diseased tissue or the infective agent. Examples:
Psorinum is made from a mite that causes the skin infection Scabies;
Medorrhinum is made from the bacteria that causes Gonorrhea;
Syphilinum is made from the bacteria that causes Syphilis; and
Tuberculinum is made from the bacteria that causes Tuberculosis.
Is Homeopathy good for every person and every disease?No! Any serious disease requires professional attention!
Some of the homeopathic remedies are useful only as supportive follow-up treatment!
Previous Page: Introduction to Homeopathy
* 400+ homeopathic product entries
* 200+ affliction listings
* Reference charts for numerous body systems
Download Demo Now / View Software Homepage